Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kerala Style Beef and Potato Curry

What will I do without my current favorite cookbook – The Kerala Kitchen??!? I knew it when I first laid eyes on this book, that this was going to be a good one and it soo is one of the best! I have tried out so many recipes from this – all simple and day-to-day types and each one was better than the other. Especially all the meat and fish recipes. Last week I made a beef and potato curry from this book for a bunch of friends I had called home for dinner. I made a LOT and only a little was left – that says it all about the curry right?
Kerala Beef and Potato Curry
 The Recipe
Beef cubes for stew – 2 to 2.5 lbs
2 tbsp oil
1 red onion, sliced
2” piece ginger
6-7 garlic cloves
3 Thai green chillies, slit
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp red chilli powder/cayenne powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 green cardamom pods
1” piece cinnamon
3 pieces cloves
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed to big pieces
1/2 cup coconut milk
salt, to taste
DSC_0007 In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil and sauté the onions till they just about turn brown and are translucent. Grind the ginger and garlic together to a paste and add this to the onions. Add the green chillies as well. After a couple of mins, add the tomatoes and sauté well till the tomatoes are soft and the oil can be seen on the sides. Now add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Sauté well. At this stage, add the beef and salt and mix properly. Add enough water in the pan to cover the beef. Cover and cook over medium-medium high heat till the beef is well done. It should take about 30-35 mins.  Now add the potatoes and cook till the potatoes are just about done. Add about 1/2 cup of coconut milk to sort of get a thick gravy. Serve hot with rice or chapatis.
Caution : This is a little on the spicy hot side. So adjust the spices and the chillies according to individual taste.

9 comments:

maninas said...

Recipe sounds great!
If I didn't make a Sri Lankan beef curry yesterday myself, I'd have a massive craving now! (btw, the book I used was Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid - I recommend it wholeheartedly!)

Thanks for the book tip - I've already added it to my Amazon wishlist!

Shabs.. said...

That looks so good!

Yummy Team said...

I had this beef curry..It was just superb!

Suparna said...

hey Manju...seems a great prep...just wanted u to know I was here :)
TC

Sig said...

Slurrp...

Superchef said...

Thanks guys!

Maninas - thanks for the book reco.

Justine said...

this looks great! all the flavors sound wonderful, too!

Memória said...

I would love this!! I just started venturing more into Indian cooking, so this should definitely be added to my "to-make-next" list.

Kath said...

That looks deelish! I found your site via tastespotter and look forward to exploring it more, since I am definitely a meataholic!