Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mom’s Special Kerala Chicken Fry

I know I have been neglecting the meat-a-holic blog lately, but its definitely not that i neglected my meat-a-holic husband. He has been getting an extra dose of meat for as long as mama was here till the vrat (dietary restrictions/fasting for religious reasons) for Navratri began. Now that its over, the meat-a-holic is back and so are many recipes for the blog.

This particular chicken fry recipe was a BIG hit among all our friends. And many have requested me for the recipe as well. So, this post, especially is for the benefit of those who were lucky enough to have tasted this and also to the rest of you out there! :)

Kerala Chicken Fry

Chicken drumsticks – 15 ( chicken breasts can also be used)

For the marinade:
Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt, to taste

For the ground masala:
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 2, 1” pieces
Cloves – 5
Green Cardamom – 4-5
Black pepper – 1 tbsp
Bay leaf – 2
Star Anise – 2
Coriander leaves / cilantro – 2 cups
Red onion, chopped – 1
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 6-7 cloves
Ginger – 4” piece

Red onion, thinly sliced– 1
Curry leaves – a sprig
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Oil for deep frying

Moms visit 232

Marinate the chicken in soy sauce, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for atleast 2-3 hrs. Make small slits on the drumsticks before marinating so that the marinade gets soaked up in the chicken.

Grind all the ingredients for the masala to a smooth paste. Add the masala and some more salt to the marinated chicken. Rub well and keep aside.

Deep/shallow fry the chicken till nice and brown and keep aside. To check whether the chicken is cooked, cut out a thin slice and it should be all juicy and cooked inside. In the remaining oil, fry onions and any masala left in the marinade. Add the chicken and give it a toss. Add curry leaves and ground black pepper and toss again. Serve hot and enjoy the compliments! :)

17 comments:

Hb said...

Drums of heaven!:)

meeso said...

ahhhhh, MEAT! Yummy :)

Danielle said...

wow...thats sounds and looks incredible!

Dajana said...

Glad you're back posting.
These look so delicious, compliments indeed.

Sarah Naveen said...

Wow!!Wow!!Wow!!
Making me drool here..
Looks really tempting dea.!!

Cham said...

Gal u make me jump seeing those drums. I bookmarked this one!

Superchef said...

thanks girls!! Glad you all liked it :)

Vidya said...

Oh my god! Its so tempting.. yummy..

Vidhya said...

OMG!! Its tempting...

Nat said...

I married a meataholic too ! : ) ..looks so gorgeous and mouth wateringly SPICY ! I love love love... dark and rich chicken curries !

Gulmohar said...

wow...so tempting :-)

Pravs said...

Hey those look really good.

Zerin said...

Hello Manju,

I made this dish and it was really superb. I have posted my experience with this recipe in my blogs
www.foodndus.blogspot.com and
www.momster.me, hope you don't mind. I have put up the pictures of my version of this recipe. Please do drop by and check it out.

I Run for Fun said...

Hi, I have been following your blog for a little while now. Love your mouthwatering recipes and the attractive pics. I tried this recipe (as a curry, instead of fry) and it was the best chicken dish I have ever tasted. I added a link on my blog...hope that's alright. Keep them coming, your recipes are inspiring!

I Run for Fun said...

Hi, I have been following your blog for a while. Love your mouthwatering dishes and attractive pics. I tried this recipe as a curry, and it was the best chicken dish I have ever had. I included a link on my blog, hope that's alright. Keep them coming, your recipes are inspiring!

An Open Book said...

Thank you so so much for this amazing recipe. My chicken dishes never come out well, but this one did and im so thrilled. I made a few alterations to the last bit, but it still came out incredibly awesome.
Thanks again.

Teja said...

hi Manju, I tried the recipe and it was SUUPERR..BB!! Thanks a ton for introducing this recipe to me.